The CDC is warning doctors to be on the lookout for a rare tropical disease connected to an aromatherapy spray sold at Walmart.
The Better Home & Gardens aromatherapy room spray with gemstones was already connected to a death in Georgia, according to the statement.
[TRENDING: Orlando police are making drivers cry (in a good way) | You will soon be able to drive a tank in Orlando | Become a News 6 Insider (it’s free!)]
Now, someone in Kansas has died from melioidosis and cases have been reported in Minnesota and Texas as well.
The CDC issued a new alert Thursday for healthcare professionals to be aware of the potential symptoms of exposure.
Epidemiologists said they believe the whole line-up of scented sprays is contaminated with a deadly form of tropical bacteria, possibly from its manufacturer in India.
Last month, the CDC said it had traced the case of a fatal b. Pseudomallei infection in Georgia to an aromatherapy spray sold by Walmart.
The infection had mystified doctors because melioidosis, a tropical disease, is usually linked to travel and none of the infected people had traveled. The CDC recommends surfaces and counters that came into contact be wiped down with disinfectant.
Consumers are urged to immediately stop using the spray, double-bag it and return it to Walmart for a full refund.
Copyright 2021 by CNN Newsource – All rights reserved.